Monday 9 April 2012

My first weekend at Pierrepont was very quiet and relaxing. There weren't many people on site because it was Easter weekend and NETS trainees aren't supposed to arrive until later this week. Everyone here has been so nice and welcoming and even though there aren't many people yet, there are about twenty different countries represented by the people who are here. I've really enjoyed having conversations with them and hearing about their home. It's especially fun when they don't speak English very well because then we try different words to understand each other. I was very fortunate because I was offered a dormitory shared by four people rather than eight if I would do a small amount of chores around the place during the week. I was happy to accept that offer. My roommates aren't here yet so I've had this big room to myself over the weekend. As for the food, it isn't as bad as everyone said it would be. It isn't that much different than in Canada except that occasionally someone will make a salad or soup or something that is from their country. 
So far so good!

1 comment:

  1. Very cool Lise. I just got back from a piano performance at a retirement home in Maple Ridge. There was an old woman there who was clapping and saying "Oh my" with an english accent while I was trying to play, and it made me think of you. It was very distracting, it even made me forget where I was in one of my songs! Rather than stopping to correct myself or starting the song over again, I just made up some chords until I remembered the rest of the song. Luckily no one seemed to notice!
    Anywho, enjoy your stay in England, and enjoy your empty room while it lasts!

    -Jake

    ReplyDelete